Barbara C. Dawes
Prior to joining the firm in October 1987, Barbara Confer Dawes worked as a law clerk for the Honorable Charles F. Filice, District Judge, City of Lansing. This experience offered her valuable insight into the handling and representation of District Court matters, which has been beneficial to her private practice.
For more than 30 years, Barbara has concentrated her practice in the area of family law, including mediation in family law matters. Barbara completed the Family Law Certificate Program offered by the Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education and the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. The program requires not only completion of an extensive selection of courses and seminars in family law, but requires certificate recipients to take additional courses annually to maintain certification.
Barbara is also a court-approved mediator for domestic relations matters. Since completing the forty-hour ICLE training, Barbara has successfully mediated several cases in Genesee and Shiawassee Counties. Barbara continues to take the required bi-annual training to maintain her status as a court-appointed mediator.
Barbara is respected among local family law attorneys for her knowledge of Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs), which are orders for the division of retirement benefits in divorce matters. QDROs are very complex, and Barbara is frequently asked by other family law attorneys to prepare or review QDROs for their cases.
Barbara is very active in the Genesee County and Shiawassee County legal community.
- Ferris State College
- 1981: A.A.S. (Legal Assistant)
- 1983: B.S. (Criminal Justice) with High Distinction
- Criminal Justice Student of the Year
- Woman of the Year
- Served as President of the Residence Hall Association senior year
- Member of Omicron Delta Kappa National Honor Society
- Cooley Law School, Juris Doctor cum laude, 1986
- Family Law
- Child Custody & Parenting Time
- Child Support
- Spousal Support (Alimony)
- Division of Marital Property & Debt
- Paternity Disputes
- Post-judgment Modification of Judgments and Orders
- Pre-nuptial Agreements
- QDRO preparation
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATES
- ICLE training as Domestic Relations Mediator, January 2007; have maintained continuing education requirements since that date
- ICLE Family Law Certificate
MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- American Bar Association: 1987 – 2017; member of Family Law Section
- Member of The Fellows of the American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan: November 1986 – present; member of Family Law Section
- Shiawassee County Bar Association
- Served as Secretary/Treasurer, 2011-12
- Served as Vice President 2012 – 2013
- Served as President 2013 - 2014
- Chairperson of the Law Day Liberty Bell Award